Applicants for the Position of On Call Firefighter
General: The Charter Township of Pennfield is an Equal Opportunity employer which complies with Federal and State standards pertaining to equal employment opportunity for all citizens.
It is the policy of the Charter Township of Pennfield to employ equal opportunity on an affirmative basis to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, creed, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, national origin or disability. Michigan law requires that a handicapper/individual with a disability needing accommodation for employment notify the employer in writing, within 182 days after the need is known.
- Age Limit – Minimum 18 years of age.
- Residence – Must reside in the Township of Pennfield or within 1 road mile of any Pennfield Township boarder at time of application, and maintain residency in this area during employment.
- Education – High school diploma or GED minimum. Must obtain Michigan Firefighter I & II, Haz-Mat Operations Level, Michigan State Fire Truck Driving Certificate, and Medical First Responder within probationary period. Must maintain this level throughout entire time of employment.
- Vision – Vision must be correctable to 20/20 each eye with visual field and color percepti9on being normal.
- Health Assessment – After conditional offer of employment is made, a complete physical examination will be required, and conducted by the Township’s physician at no cost to the applicant.
- Drivers License – Applicant must possess at date of hire a valid Michigan drivers license, with no restrictions other than the requirement of corrective lenses and no more than 6 penalty points on driving record at time of application and throughout entire time of employment.
- Criminal Records – Must have no felony convictions. A background check will be conducted. Must maintain a high standard of conduct at all times.
- Experience – This is an entry level position and does not require previous experience. Any previous experience or education, including full time, on call, or volunteer firefighting of emergency medical work may be weighed in favor of the candidate.
All applicants who meet the minimum requirements as listed above will be required to compete in open examination with all other candidates in the following areas:
- Pennfield Township Fire Department Formal Application;
- Must submit a current copy of Michigan Drivers License;
- Must submit a current copy of Michigan Driving record from the Secretary of State;
- Oral board interview with Recruiting committee, which consist of 2 officers and two firefighters;
- Recommendation to the Fire Chief for second interview;
- Interview with Chief and/or Assistant Chief;
- Recommendation to Township Board for Probationary Firefighter status 6 months to 2 years.
Every new Firefighter is required to serve as a probationary or working test period to obtaining regular status. This probationary period is no less than 6 months and not to exceed 2 years. On or before completion of the probationary period, his / her general adaptability for firefighting will be review, by the Chief and Department Command Officers. On or before completion of a probationary period the new firefighter will either be placed on regular status, or released as dictated by his / her performance pursuant to Department policies and standards.
– The mission of a on-call firefighter for Pennfield Township is highly versatile, ranging from routine maintenance of department facilities and equipment to answering extraordinary call for emergency services. Included in this position is training for and participation in duties related to protection of life and property from natural and man made disasters.
Specifically, these would include but not limited to emergency responses to fire, hazardous material incidents, and emergency medical services. Non-emergency work would include training, pre-incident planning, in service building inspections and familiarization, facilities and equipment maintenance, and public education.
Primary Duties– include but are not limited to:
- The response to and intervention of emergencies encountered by this department as it meets its mission statement, the ultimate goal being the immediate preservation of life and property.
- The proper operation and application of Department equipment and procedures in the intervention of emergencies or routine activities. Routinely lifts and carries equipment weighing up to 60 lbs.
- The proper use and routine maintenance of all department equipment and facilities.
- The performance of all department mission related duties, and directed by operations division supervisory personnel. Duties will include exposure to extreme weather conditions, utilization of power equipment, working at extreme heights, and require superior reasoning ability.
- The enthusiastic participation in department training and meetings.
- If interested, the acceptance of additional administrative support duties such as squad leader, assistant squad leader, or team leader.
- Assist supervisory personnel with team building efforts such as training.
- In the absence of a officer senior firefighters may be assigned the responsibilities of acting command.
Wages & Salary
On Call Fire Fighters of Pennfield Township Fire Department receive hourly wages for responses, training, drills, work details and station fill-in. These wages are set and approved annually by the Pennfield Township Board of Trustees. Contact the administrative office for current wages.